Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Two Birds with one Stone

     I travelled to Nashville this weekend to attend my nieces' birthday party and the baptism ceremony of my nephew. The first night I had a sleep over with my niece Libby. She was upset because her cousin did not want to sleep over in her room the night before her party. My sister said, "I bet uncle jack will have a sleep over with you." I agreed and before too long was snuggled up in a princess sleeping bag that was bursting at the seems as I attempted to fit inside it.
     Libby wanted me to sing her some songs before "sleep time" and requested "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer." I gladly sung it for her. Her next request I was concerned that I did not know all the words. She requested that I sing "The Camptown Ladies." I informed her that I did not know the whole song and she said "do your best." This is all I knew:


The Campptown ladies sing this song,
Doo-da, Doo-da
The Camptown racetrack's five miles long
Oh, de doo-da day
Goin' to run all night
Goin' to run all day

At this point I just started making up words hoping that she would not notice. I mean come on she just turned four. After I was done she said "You were right Uncle Jack you don't know that song" I asked her to help refresh my memory to see if she knew the words. In her High Pitched Nashville twang she said;

"I bet my money on a bob-tailed nag
Somebody bet on the gray"

I could not stop laughing. Anyway it was a fun trip and we hit a snow storm on the way back.
   Libby loves dogs. She asked me what my favorite animal was and I said the Duckbill Platypus.
   She then proceeded to ask if the platypus was nocturnal or diurnal. I said "nocturnal of course."




3 comments:

  1. Agreed, what a cool uncle you are. I like the visual of you in a princess sleeping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That girl is hilarious! Nice job with the singing. You are a great uncle!

    ReplyDelete