Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dream Girl? She's Not all That.


    

     You know when you have a really weird dream that you cant quite explain? You want to talk about it because of it's disturbing quality but you just can't find the words. I had one of those dreams recently. In my dream I met Barbie and a couple of her friends. We actually had a lot of fun at first. I went driving in her Corvette, hung out in her RV, and even attended a fashion show with her. She had some life-like qualities but also retained some of her doll-like features. On the one hand, I will have to admit, I was intrigued by her spontaneity and attractive qualities. On the other hand there was something strange and plastic about her.
     As the dream progressed I became more and more dissatisfied with her company. Things just started to go seriously downhill. She had this fetish. A fetish common to every girl I have ever dated. She liked to wake up every morning, dress up as herself, and act like a bitch all day long. It wasn't long before I got fed up with the dream and woke up.
     I know there is no way to illustrate all the disturbing feelings I experienced during my dream. As a response to this dream I was inspired to make some images to try to illustrate my mind's image of Barbie. The disturbing external qualities of these images serve as a metaphor to the anxiety I felt while interacting with Barbie.
 

3 comments:

  1. I love the images, I think you accomplished your intent. Are these drawings or something else? And Jack, Why Barbie?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are double exposure photographs. I took one frame and layered several exposures on top of them. They are soft and dream like because they are recorded with a pinhole camera. I dont know why barbie. It was a dream so I had little control over the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. incredibly strange and amusing. i especially like the part where she dresses up as herself and acted like a bitch all day. lol

    ReplyDelete